Tuesday 2 August 2011

A Lesson for mamma (from my english reader)


Tuesday
10.00


 Dear Mamma,if you just could be
A tiny little girl like me,
And I your Mamma, you would see
            How nice I'd be to you.
I'd always let you have your way;
I'd never frown at you and say,
             'You are behaving ill today,
              Such conduct will not do.'
                                              I'd always give you jelly cake
                                              For breakfast, and I'd never shake
                                             My head, and say,'You must not take
                                             So very large a slice
                                      I'd never say, 'My dear, I trust
                                     You will not make me say you must
                                     Eat up your oatmeal'; or, 'The crust
                                               You 'll find, is very nice.'
I'd buy you candy every day;
I'd go downtown with you, and say,
'What would my darling like? You may
           Have anything you see.'
I'd never say, 'My pet,you know 
'Tis bad for health and teeth, and so
I cannot let you have it. No_
          It would be wrong in me.'
                      And every day I'd let you wear
                      Your nicest dress,and never care
                       If it should get a big tear;
                                  I'd only say to you,
                        'My precious treasure,never mind,
                        For little clothes will tear,I find.'
                        Now, Mamma, wouldn't that be kind?
                                  That's just what I would do.
I'd never say, 'Well,just a few!'
I'd let you stop your lessons, too;
I'd say, 'They are too hard for you,
                 Poor child, to understand.'
I'd put the books and slates away;
You shouldn't do a thing but play,
And have a party every day.
            Ah-h-h! Wouldn't that be grand!
                   But Mamma dear,you cannot grow
                  Into a little girl, you know,
                  And I can't be your Mamma; so
                                The only thing to do,
                   Is just for you to try and see
                   How very, very nice 't would be
                    For you to do all this for me.
                                 Now, mother, couldn't you?

1 comment: